Feb 22, 2016

Why RPG Maker MV?

Alright, I'll admit. I don't have much done for the past few days. Designing clothing for characters is certainly not easy. I had to draw, erase, draw and then erase and rinse and repeat for a couple more times before I'm kinda satisfied with it. As a result, I feel rather burned out. Note: I have no intention to abandon this project. Work is just coming slowly. So since I haven't made a new post for a few days, I might as well make one now and talk about why I'm using MV instead of VX or VX Ace. This might not interest the average person at all, but if you're an aspiring creator that's still bouncing back and forth between choosing VX/Ace or MV, this post might interest you. Also, I'll be ranting in italics like this one.


In hentai games like these, it all basically comes down to resolution size. MV games by default is in 816 x 624 while VX Ace is in 544×416. In most hentai games that portrays sex visually (A.K.A CGs. I'm just trying to sound smarter than I actually am.) like these, having a high resolution is highly recommended if not needed. I'm not talking about retro, pixel or purposefully pixelated artworks. Those have their own place and not the point I'm trying to get across. Now if you've played Despair Labyrinth before, you'd realize that it has some rather pixelated CGs. Though that might be because of the rendering, I'm not sure. While compared to Captivity, the CGs are crisp and clean looking. But if you play in a maximized window or fullscreen it's still going to look somewhat pixelated. And while I could very well bump the resolution up to 720p or even 1080p if I wanted to (this is something you can do easily with MV), doing so brings a whole slew of its own problem. Mostly regarding to map size, tiles and problems within the creator itself. And I can't be assed to circumvent the problems that shouldn't have been there to begin with.

The second thing would probably the increase count of more items, weapons, and variables and stuff. IIRC, everything that has a count of 999 in the previous RPG Makers have been increased up to 2000. That's twice as much. While I'm probably never going to use all of it, it does provide more leeway. But why did they impose an arbitrary limit of 2000 instead of just making it 9999 regardless of whether or not people will actually use them all in this day and age is beyond me.

Finally, the switch from Ruby/RGSS3 to JavaScript. Now I'm personally not a programmer so this doesn't affect me much. But if you're well versed in the arcane arts of computer magic, this is something you might want to look out for.

There's also a couple more changes to MV, but that's basically the gist of it. Now then, time to frustrate myself more with clothing designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment