Feb 29, 2016

Patreon?

 EDIT: The poll has ended. Thanks for everyone who voted.

Sorry for the lack of updates once again. I've been busy with real life stuffs and hadn't have much motivation to work on the game. Especially when as I mentioned in one of my earliest post that art assets is the single most time consuming thing to be done in a video game, and the fact that I'm not satisfied with Player's bust and wanted to add some more details to it. Right now it just looks extremely generic. Also, some somewhat important wall of text incoming.


Now what's up with the big orange words that reads "Patreon" with a question mark at the end? Well, that's me asking whether you guys would want me to implement Patreon right now. I know, I know, I said that I will only open up a Patreon account only when the game hits post v0.1.0. One of the main reasons I'm trying to hold off till then is due to the fact that there isn't much content to warrant Patreon implementation. The second reason has a slightly more in-depth reasoning. There isn't much gameplay to show HOW the gameplay will actually be as the game have a larger amount of content. What this means is that assuming if I did have a Patreon right now, and people actually pledged because they're interested in the project because of the intro, and when the final product came out, it's not what they expected it to be, and they'll feel cheated.

That's a lot of comma in that sentence. It looks like I failed as a writer. But nevertheless, things like that happen all the time. It's something people like to call "false advertisement." Aliens: Colonial Marines comes to mind when I think about false advertisements. Now I'm not trying to sound smart or political, I'm just saying that stuff like these happens all the time, and I do not want to be one of those people who make their PR look really good and the final product comes out as crap. I got derailed there, but one upside of having a Patreon now is that if I am being paid, I will be more motivated to work on this game.

So here's the deal, I'm setting up a poll for you guys to vote on whether or not I should set up Patreon at this pre v0.1.0 state. Now I'm expecting some error margin from this, so I included more options other than a simple yes and no. So go vote, and please try to be truthful. The poll will last for about a week or two. And even if the majority wanted me to implement Patreon right now, I wouldn't do it right away.


http://strawpoll.me/6948286


Now with all that Patreon stuff out of the way, what is stopping me from releasing the next pre-build?
I won't be a smartass and go into details on this so I'll just make a quick list.

-Busts for Player (for both naked and clothed), Player (Male), Kyle/Nosferatu, Kerry/Lucky17, Tatsumi/Ryugami, City Guard.
-CGs 2.
-The crap ton of grammar errors listed on page 2 on LoK's Captivity forum thread.
-Scene with the City Guards.

That's pretty much the only thing I need done to release pre-build 4. And I know this post is extremely haphazard and all over the place. That's mostly because I'm writing this around 4 in the morning. So I'm going to crash on my bed now.

5 comments:

  1. For your Patreon, you could do like YummyTiger does with Aylia's story. He only collects money on major game updates. It could be a god option

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing it that way is unfortunately not an option for me. I won't go into details right now, but basically it'd be financially unfeasible for me and I intend to release updates frequently if not somewhat frequently.

      Delete
  2. I don't think that it's ever really too early to start a Patreon. If you care about making money from your game, there's no real reason not to.

    People will fund your project if they think it's worth it, and won't if they don't. They'll self-select for you, and no one who doesn't fund you will be likely to be upset that you set one up. One great aspect of the whole Patreon model is that the people who aren't eager enough for the next update to fund you are also unlikely to be upset by having to wait a little while longer for it.

    Your game is promising, but you're probably right that at this point there isn't enough there and you have proved yourself enough for many people to start funding you. No harm in getting a Patreon started now, though.

    As a side note, the content you have in your game so far is right up the alley of people on tfgamessite.com. I would encourage you to consider posting your game (and cresting a discussion thread for it) there as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raised some really good arguments. But I think I should let the poll run for 2 weeks first as initially planned before I decide. It'll let me have an idea about how people feel about this.

      And thanks for reminding me, I'll see about hosting it on tfgamessite soon.

      Delete
    2. No prob. I could also see tfgamesite being a good match for you in that you seem quite receptive to feedback, and that site has a strong culture of giving a lot of constructive feedback.

      It's great to see the careful intention you're putting into making this game.

      Delete