Jun 26, 2016

Pushing my buttons

Hi guys, quick news update. I wanna get the update out soon, so no sketches like I promised 2 posts ago. I'm still in the middle of implementing the buttons.


Yep. That's it. That's the news for today. The rest of this post is just me talking about some technical stuff and rant about RPG Maker. So read on if you're interested.


One of the improvements I've made to it since the last video I posts is that I animated it. I'm not gonna make a video about it because it's not a change significant enough to warrant me making one. The reason you'll want to animate UI elements is to provide more of a visual feedback to the player to let them know "oh hey, you pressed this". These tiny effects aren't really noticeable for the most part. But if you REALLY pay attention to any digital buttons you see (in apps, browsers, games or whatever), you'll notice the buttons will linger for a couple of frames, change colors or plays a special effect when pressed. If any of this info doesn't concern you, don't worry. It's mostly targeted for those interested in game design/development. I'm sure there's a couple of you in here.

So anyway, the buttons I'm implementing still has a lot of troubleshooting to be done. One of the problem I'm running into is the text bubble not appearing while the buttons is fading away. Since every text bubbles is activated by a common event to play the animation (yep, even the text bubbles are animated), both events are conflicting with each other and thus either the text bubble disappear entirely or the buttons fail to fade out properly. Which I blame RPG Maker. It has problems with running show picture commands from multiple events simultaneously. So I'm trying to find a workaround, which irritates me quite a bit. WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MANY PROBLEMS, RPG MAKER?! I'm pretty sure I'm not to blame for trying to do some advanced stuff with your engine. Your motto is "Simple enough for a child; Powerful enough for a developer." SO WHY?!

But yeah, that's really it for today. I'll update this post when I fixed it or something. And then I can move on to completing CGs 2.


UPDATE: Okay, I'm pretty sure I fixed the damn thing now. Turns out it's just a dirty edit related to a post image cleanup common event I've set up. As for the buttons failing to fade out, surprise! It's another dirty edit that's causing it. I fixed that too so everything is working as intended now. I strucked out the rant I've made because that's clearly my fault and not RPG Maker's. That's right, I'm not afraid to admit my own mistakes. Be right back while I cry in a corner out of embarrassment.

1 comment: